1.17.2010

Tucker, Chapters One and Thirteen --OR-- "Math Assessment and Instruction"


    Just as I'm new to teaching reading and writing to students, this is also my first exposure to teaching mathematics to kids as well.  It is no surprise, then, that I found lots of helpful material within these two chapters.
    One of my favorite quotes was on the first page of the first chapter: "The primary criterion for judging an instructional activity should be: What are the pupils learning during the activity?" This struck me as one of many balances teachers must strike in their instruction and should certainly be kept in mind whenever lessons are being taught. I'm sure it only increases in importance the younger the students are.  The breakdown of activity types was also something I'd never been exposed to before, and would be useful for planning activity different templates for lessons.
    The games in chapter thirteen were great! Unfortunately, I don't really plan on teaching elementary school students, so I don't know how useful they'll be for me!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully there will be more advanced mathematics for you however I think Social Sciences is your main objective. Hopefully you will find some good inspiration out of this book!

    ReplyDelete