Reading Joan Gipe's Multiple Paths to Literacy and reading the "How Children Learn to Read" article on LDOnline has been quite an eye-opening experience for me. While it has always been clear that the ability to read and write is one of (if not the) most important ability learned in school, I have no real ability to teach it. Coming from a background in secondary social studies, I received (nor did I seek) training in this field -- my special education Master's classes are the first time I have any real exposure to it. It is an exposure which I am glad to have.
While the significance of reading and writing has always been apparent, I did not believe (while going for my Bachelor's) that I would ever need to be able to truly teach it. First and foremost, I do not have the type of stamina and patience required for for elementary education. And as a prospective social studies teacher, I would not really think that it would be my role. After reading the chapters and articles earlier and having more exposure to the special education field, it is very clear that such thinking makes absolutely no sense. My preparation as a special education teacher -- even if I do not get a job in special education -- will drastically improve my teaching abilities even to general education students.
Even as a social studies teacher, I can still help my students develop their literacy skills. While no specific lessons may be taught about it, an ability to teach reading and writing skills can help build upon skills already worked on with a special education teacher, prevent me from having to refer a student to someone else, or even give me the ability to spot students with signs of a learning disability. Training in at least the basics of reading (phonics, comprehension, etc.) would be extremely beneficial any teacher, regardless of subject. It is our job as educators to do the best we can for our students, and this is one more way to do so.
12.13.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I always find your blog postings enjoyable. Your writing flows very nicely.
ReplyDeleteMy preparation as a special education teacher -- even if I do not get a job in special education -- will drastically improve my teaching abilities even to general education students.
This is exactly why I came back to get my certification in Special Ed. I would love to have either special ed or elementary but no matter what it will be invaluable. My undergrad was in History so Hooray for Social Sciences! I can remember how much writing I had to do for my bachelors which is different from what you will do in your classroom but I am sure reading and grammar will be a constant with you as well.
It is our job as educators to do the best we can for our students, and this is one more way to do so.
It is also nice to hear a positive outlook on teaching always. It sounds like you will be a wonderful teacher.
you made a very important realization. teaching children how to read is all of our jobs as no content can be learned unless they master this skill.
ReplyDelete